Friday, 28 June 2013

Waves in a Bottle!



Hello everybody!! How have you been? Are you ready to go back to school? I'm looking forward to seeing Nicholle and Maisy! We had so much fun together during the holidays! Yay for good friends you can count on!!

Just yesterday, I got a bit creative and made this little experiment in a bottle! I like to shake it around, or flip it over and shake like crazy. Then the whole bottle turns blue, with a million teeny little yellow bubbles of oil floating around. After a while, the blueness settles down and I will roll it around on a table to make extremely mad waves. Then before the waves die down, I'll quickly stand it upright, so that the bubbles fly everywhere, like seagulls! After all the flipping, rolling and shaking, I do it all over again!

When I get tired of all the crazy shaking, I watch all the bubbles float down, piling on top of each other at the bottom to make a seabed. It's quite fascinating actually. Sometimes I decide that maybe all the insane flipping might cause the bottle to slip from my hands, and CRACK! So, maybe doing all that stuff is kinda dangerous haha...

Hey, do you know what the "twilight zone" is? It is the middle layer of the world's oceans, that part of the pelagic zone that goes down from 200 to 1000 metres below the ocean surface (the pelagic zone is any water in a sea or lake that is neither close to the bottom nor near the shore). According to Wiki, some light penetrates this deep, but it is insufficient for photosynthesis. Animals such as swordfish, squid, wolf eels, cuttlefish, and other semi-deep sea creatures live here. They are adapted to life in near darkness, cold water and high pressure. Also, there is enough sunlight for animals, such as the chain catshark, to be fluorescent! Here's my little twilight zone in a bottle! I hope you enjoy watching!

Bye and thanks for visiting! Remember to visit me at Bikbik and Roro, where I have been guest blogging for the last week!
 

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea what the 'twilight zone' in the ocean is. I haven't heard that term before in reference to that area in the oceans. I've certainly learned something new today! Your video is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your video. Very interesting to read about the "twilight zone". Yeah I learned something new too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting experiment! And thank you for blogging about the twilight zone. My boy will love to know about that (he loves ocean and sea animals).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to write!