Friday, 21 June 2013

On Sadness and Cuteness

Hi everybody! How have you been? I hope you all are doing OK, although the weather and haze pollution are so bad. The Pollutant Standards Index (PSI) went up to 401 today. I've learnt that the PSI is a sort of measure of the air quality. Zero to 50 is good, while 101 - 200 is unhealthy, 201 - 300 is very unhealthy, and anything above 300 is hazardous. So we are in the hazardous range now. The smell of smoke even comes into our house although the windows are shut. Plus the temperature is 35 degrees :(

I read in the news that "Indonesia on Thursday accused Singapore of acting "like a child" over thick smog from forest fires in Sumatra that has triggered an environmental crisis, as the city-state's premier warned it could last weeks" (you can read more here and here). I feel sad that there is all this bickering going on while there is such a bad environmental crisis happening which is not being fixed. I also feel so bad for the poor wildlife that is being affected :(

Let me share with you something happier. Remember the cat pin my Mom made for Maisy's birthday? It was so cute, I wished I could have one too, so my Mom made me a little one! This is a tiny Ragdoll kitten! He reminds me of my cat Ming Ming.

This pin is actually very small, just about 3.5cm. But he has a cute star in his ear! This is what he looks like close up. Isn't he simply adorable?

And this is what he looks like on a cardigan! Isn't he sweet?

My Mom actually put some cat pins in her shop. This cat head is one of them! I love his colour and his beautiful green eyes. These pins are environmentally-friendly because they are made with recycled, reclaimed things. My Mom has been taking some custom orders for her cat pins, so if you want one, just email her or me! They are OOAK (one-of-a-kind), so you can look super cool wearing a special work of art!

OK, see you again soon! Try to enjoy the rest of your June holidays even if you are stuck indoors. Keep praying that the haze crisis can be fixed peacefully, permanently and soon!!!

6 comments:

  1. And just think how bad that pollution is for those with asthma! We have had the same problem here in Georgia, people are not supposed to burn during certain times of the year, but they still do.
    I love your little cat pin that your Mom made for you, she is so talented.
    (Love the bigger one too, those EYES!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the news in your country! I hope that haze will go away soon despite the predictions. What a horrible situation!

    What are you planning to do indoors now? It's very hot at my place too so I usually spend most of my summer indoors as well. Lots of crafting and reading ahead :)

    I wish you a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish things in Indonesia get better soon! Meanwhile, try to help the little animals around you with food and water, I am sure they will thank you! (: your pin is amazing, I am so glad you have an amazing mom to make you pretty things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky!
    I've just caught up on your wonderful AMAZING posts!
    I'm a blogger, and I know how much work you are putting into your posts!
    And let me tell you ~ you are an awesome writer and photographer.
    It was fun to see you and your sister at Maisy's birthday party. Maisy is a common name in Newfoundland, Canada. And your video about Shelly the Tortoise was excellent. I've never taken a movie myself yet! Some years ago my husband and I were in Borneo (Sarawak) and we saw a lots of wild proboscius monkeys at Bako National Park. Lots of monkeys stealing food from the tourists at the outdoor cafe too!

    My husband and I have been watching the news, and I told him that I have been thinking about you and your family and hoping that everyone was okay. It's very sad. Once I was working in a very remote area of Newfoundland called the Burin Peninsula. All this smog from the eastern seaboard of the USA rolled onto the Burin and stayed for days and days. I too was worried about all the animals and people. I hope your smog dissipates soon. As for Indonesia's stance ~ they are so wrong about Singapore! Indonesia should clean up its own act. I, too, worry about the earth and its environment.
    Take care! Fundy Blue!

    P.S. My favorite children's book about a fruit bat is called "Stellaluna" by Janell Cannon. Maybe, if your at the library, you might find it and take a peak at it. I'll bet that Ro would like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, sounds pretty rough in your part of the world! I hope things get better sooner rather than later.

    Those cat pins are so cute! I especially love the cat head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry about the pollution and the smoke! Please take care!! I love the cat pins! Give mom a hug from me ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to write!