Monday, 28 April 2014

Bits And Blythes All Over The Place

Jakey says hi!!!!! Don't you just LOVE his smile!!??!! 


Hi everyone!!!!!!!!! How are you????? What have you been doing???? Wow, it's been AGES hasn't it!! Sorry for not posting for SUCH a LONG time! The last time I posted was during the December holidays LAST YEAR! Well, of course then school started, so I got all busy with schoolwork and lots of new activities. Then I had gastroenteritis for almost 3 weeks!! I even had it during the March holidays, BOO! But I'm all better now, thank you Jesus!!

So this post is going to be a little long, because it's a bunch of stuff over the past months squeezed together (I don't have lots of pictures though, because our little old camera slowly died a couple of months ago). Before I start though, I'm going to do some SHOUT-OUTS! In case you don't know, a shout-out is like a greeting, which people usually do over the radio or during a concert, to people you can't see right then. It's a way of saying HI!! If you'd like me to post a shout-out for you to your friends in my next post, let me know!

Here are my shout-outs:
Shout-out to Qin Yi, my classmate and probably the best follower ever. Thanks for swinging by my blog almost every day!
Shout-out to Nicholle -- thanks for being a great friend and my Science partner in the SCSA competition!
Shout-out to Dion -- thanks for being a great partner!
Shout-out to Harmony, Jana, Leeann, Ser Jia, Chloe, Maisy and Jodie for celebrating my birthday with me -- thanks for your super presents and an amazingly fun day!
Shout-out to everyone involved in Earth Hour -- good job!

Now on to my post! (I would have liked to share more pictures of my awesome birthday party with my friends, but I don't really have pictures because the camera was dead at that time. This picture was taken by Maisy's mom, but we're all looking at other people taking pictures with their handphones. Anyway, we had a great time!! Thank you everyone!!!).

So, see me in my blue uniform up there? That's right -- I'm with the Girls' Brigade! Do you know what the Girls' Brigade is? Well, it is an international and interdenominational Christian youth organisation. It was founded in 1893 in Dublin, Ireland. The Brigade operates in over 60 countries worldwide!

The international vision statement of the GB is "Girls' lives transformed, God's world enriched". The motto of the Girls' Brigade is "Seek, Serve and Follow Christ" and its aim is "To help girls become followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, and through self control, reverence and a sense of responsibility, to find true enrichment of life". The GB programme follows four themes: Spiritual, Physical, Educational and Service. These words spell SPES, which is Latin for Hope. Isn't that great?

I chose to join the GB as my school co-curricular activity (CCA). All students in Singapore must participate in a CCA. As a GB girl, I have lots of important things to take part in and different roles and responsibilities. For example, we have gone to help at the nursing home and had camps in school to learn important life skills and about the fruits of the Spirit. We even had a year-end field trip to Pastamania, where we got to make our own pizzas -- YUMMY!!

Last Saturday, I took part in my official enrollment in the GB. There are six badges which can be collected throughout a year (I got my sixth today). Each badge stands for something; in this case -- God's Book, My Journey, My Service, My Treasure, My Activity and My Responsibility. The first letters of the badges spell "GB J STAR", which means a really AWESOME Girls' Brigade Junior :D

And now, here's a quick pic of little Jakey!!! Isn't he the most adorable fuzzpot ever???? He's already 9 months old, and he can stand up all by himself. He has a huge appetite and the most awesome laugh ever!!!

Just yesterday, my Dad brought me, Ro and Jakey swimming. We put a small black swimsuit on Jake and decided that we would put him in the water slowly, and get him used to it step by step. The last time we brought him swimming, he screamed his head off the moment his toe touched the water. However, this time he really enjoyed himself, and Daddy carried him around in the adult pool. He was laughing and happy and Daddy said he swam better than Ro and me (haha, very funny, Dad).

Here we all are hanging out in front of the balcony TV. I know I look deep in thought or plain bored, but I suppose that's how I look when I digest my food. It's a pretty small space, but really cozy. Just behind me is my Mom's tiny craft area, which brings me to my next topic!

Remember my Blythe dolly Isadora? Well, do you know, my Mom is a doll customizer! Doll customizing is really an art form, where the artists take a basic doll and totally transform it. The dolls they make are called art dolls and they are collectors' items. This dolly is Sadie, one of my mom's dolls. Isn't she pretty? Sadie was bought by a lady all the way in the USA. Sometimes she shows my Mom pictures of Sadie all dressed up with her other dolls, which makes my Mom really happy.

Some of my friends own Blythe dolls in their original form and asked me how my Mom could make them look completely different. Well, let me show you! This is a picture of a Blythe in her original form. Even though their hair and eye colours might be different, their faces all have that shiny plasticky look and those same sort of features.

So, to customize her, my Mom has to completely take her apart. This is a picture of Blythe in pieces.

A lot of the work happens on the face of course. My Mom has to remove all her original colour and carve her to look the way she wants. This is what it looks like in the beginning.

This is what it looks like after awhile. Carving is hard work and takes a long time. My Mom says it's kinda tricky because it's 3D and not flat like a drawing. You have to look at it from all different angles.

The carving tools are all very sharp and so are the doll parts. My Mom has a box of plasters on her craft table. See? Poor Mom's finger got a deep cut and was bleeding :(

After she finally finishes carving, it's time for the faceup. This is when she paints in all the colours and things she wants.

My Mom also has to change the eyes and the eyelashes and decorate the eyelids. Sometimes she also colours and cuts the hair. The face she was working on in those pictures became the dolly above -- Francoise! Francoise is also living in the USA now.

Here is Rowan, getting her newly coloured hair and waiting for her new body.

And here is Rowan, all done! Rowan is going to live in South America, wow!

My Mom always takes pictures of her dolls before she packs them up to send to their new owners. She says that after working so hard on them, she really misses them when they go. Here is Miette sitting on the dolly travelling trunk. My Mom also has to put beads and charms on the doll's new pullstrings. The pullstrings control the doll's eye mechanism. Original Blythes have one string to change their eyes (they have four pairs of eyes looking in different directions), but they don't have sleep eyes. Customizers usually put in the second string so they can close their eyes if they want.

These are Sadie's eyelids.

Here are a few pictures of some of my Mom's dolls. They all live in different parts of the world now. This is Marine. I think she has a very cool city look.

This is Ophelia. She is like a romantic princess in a haunted castle.

And this is Scout! She is the only dolly available in my Mom's shop now. I think she is really cute, like a real little girl.

She's a bit of a tomboy too, so I think we should keep her! My Mom says she'll think about it.

OK -- I'm going to stop now for my dinner. I think I'll have more pictures next time because we have a new camera now, yay! But these few weeks we'll be having exams, so I'll be busy with that. Thanks for popping by!! See you again soon everyboooddyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

11 comments:

  1. I was wondering were you were? But then I know life is busy...Bummer about your camera :( and many congratulations on your six badges of the Brigade keep up the good work dear!

    Jakey is the cutest and your mom is so talented with the dolls I love all of their clothes and their hair (although ouch on the finger)

    Best of luck on your exams oh and yay on the new camera!!

    Lots of Hugs from your auntie Claudia in Hemet California!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you here again Becky! Thanks for updating us on what's new! Your birthday party sounds like it was a blast and congratulations on all your cool GB badges! Jakey is getting so big and he still looks as adorable as ever. Your mom is surely an artist with these dolls but do tell her to be more careful cause that cut doesn't look fun O_o

    Take care and good luck with your exams!

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post, Rebecca!
    Jakey is adorable. I don't know if he is walking yet, but once he is, I think he'll have you all hopping!

    Congrats on your participation in the Girls' Brigade. I think Singapore does some great things with education, and I love that everyone has to do a CCA. Learning is more than books.

    And thank you for showing how your mom customizes her dolls. I think they are lovely, and after seeing Rila's base face, I was really curious about how she made them.

    I so enjoyed your Isadora's trip to Beijing! Lucky you! I would love to see China. I studied Chinese history in university, but that was when the old spelling was still used, and Beijing was Peking. I'm so confused now! LOL! I've seen some amazing exhibits on China in Denver's museums.

    Good luck with your exams. I have no doubt that you will do your best. Belated happy birthday too! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rebecca, It's nice to read your blog again! I didn't know about the blue brigade. I would love for this type of organization for my own girl. It's really a wholesome experience to help out other people and I am happy to see you are participating so eagerly. Jake is ADORABLE! Enjoy the time with him because babies grow up so fast! I do love your mom's dolls very much. Scout is growing on me. She looks a little shy but very friendly :D Good luck with school exams!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Rebecca!
    Looks like you have been very busy and I say that is a very good thing!
    You are right, little Jakey is adorable! And that smile just melts my heart, I want to pick him up and give him a big cuddle!
    Hope your Mom will be extra careful with her sharp knives, she is so talented, her dolls are just little masterpieces of art!
    Take care of yourself and your little sister and brother. God bless you all!
    Love,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! So much good stuff in it. And so much news about all of you. Thank you for that. Yes, your little brother is adorable. I can't believe how much he's grown. Has so much time really passed?? It seems like only yesterday your mom announced that she gave birth.

    It looks like you've got a lot of cool stuff going on. The Girl's Brigade sounds wonderful. Yes, it is very cool!

    And I had no idea how much work it takes for the transformation of those beautiful dolls. I absolutely adore them; they are gorgeous. And your mom is very talented. Doing all this with young kids to care for...WOW! I am I in awe of her.

    It was wonderful to read all about you, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post ;o) Jake is so cute ;o) Glad he is liking the water ;o) You look great in your outfit for the Blue Brigade ;o) Your poor mom cutting her finger, while making the dolls! So much work goes into them! I love Scout! I think you should keep her too ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rebecca, it was so great to see your post! Jake has grown so much and is truly adorable. You seem like an amazing big sister! I love the pictures of you in your GB uniform...and congrats on earning your sixth badge. I was so happy to see your Mom's dolls ~ she really is quite talented. I had no idea how they were made so enjoyed your explanation. Scout is actually my favorite! Hope to see/hear from you soon!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for catching us up! looks like your brother is 'growing like a weed' (as we say here - ha!) and love that nickname 'fuzepot' ... that's awesome. I really enjoyed the tour of how your mom customizes her dolls. what an art! and she really does give each one such unique personalities. I bet it is hard to ship them off after becoming attached to each one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi from Spain!!!

    The Blythe dolls it´s beautiful !!!!!!! I love Blythes dolls!!!! It´s very nice!

    Bye!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh your brother is turning so cute! I am happy you joined the girls brigade I hope you'll have lots of fun and yes, your mother is truly an artist, the dolls transformation is awesome. Stay well (:

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to write!