Wednesday, 22 May 2013

The Golden Rule


Yesterday my Mom told me about what is called "The Golden Rule". The Golden Rule states that "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself". Does that sound familiar? If you are a Christian, it probably would! Jesus said it like this: "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets".

This is also a lot like what Jesus called the Greatest Commandment. A teacher of the Law came to Jesus and asked Him which of the commandments was the most important. Jesus replied, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbour as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments".

My Mom explained that when we are being good and kind to others, even those who are not our friends, we are loving them and obeying these important commandments. Also, isn't that how we want others to treat us? I would not want to do anything to someone else that I would hate being done to me. This means we should always think carefully about the way we talk to others, and how we treat them. Are we being kind and helpful, or unkind and mean? Are we being nice to other kids in school, or are we hurtful and rude? The Golden Rule reminds us that just as we do not like others to be mean and hurtful to us, we should not be mean and hurtful to them.

In friendships, I am finding that there are all sorts. Have you heard the phrase "It takes all sorts to make a world"? My Mom says it a lot, especially when we have to deal with rude people in the shops or on the train. I think it's like that in friendships too. Some friends understand the Golden Rule, and are kind, loyal and dependable, while others are not -- it takes all sorts. My Mom once told me that there are many grown-ups who are terrible friends because they don't know what it actually means to be a friend. Usually, they are only thinking of themselves.

I have a book that describes some of the things that make a good friend. Like, a good friend is a friend you can trust. A good friend is supportive. A good friend is kind and compassionate. A good friend treats you with love and respect. A good friend sticks with you in good times and bad. But I think all of us know this, because even if we don't know the Golden Rule, we do know how it feels -- we all would like friends like that.

But we need to be friends like that too. I like this quote by Charles Kingsley: "It is only the great-hearted who can be true friends. The mean and cowardly can never know what true friendship means". My Mom says that people who are bad friends aren't real friends, and usually don't have real friends either. And this will carry on even when they are grown-up, which would suck. So it is really important that we get it right from early on. The world would be a better place if we all made sure we are good friends, because all the things that make a good friend are also the things that make a good person.

So my Mom checks on how I behave in different situations. She says it is important not only to her, but to God too. Am I kind, respectful, loving and helpful? She always reminds me that God is watching even if no one else is and He has given me a conscience to tell me when I am behaving well or badly. Our conscience tells us whether we are following the Golden Rule. How we treat others shows whether we are really nice and also how we were brought up. My Mom actually wrote a post about "Kindness and Good Manners" and said she expected me to always remember to show both. Not all moms tell their kids that I think. And some kids don't get to see their parents much, which is pretty sad.

In the picture above, you can see me with my sister. She is a great friend and I know I am really lucky to have her. My Mom shared with me this poem, and I thought I'd share the last bit of it with you. It is called "Goblin Market" by Christina Rossetti. If you have a sister, then you'd know you are really blessed!

"For there is no friend like a sister
In calm or stormy weather;
To cheer one on the tedious way,
To fetch one if one goes astray,
To lift one if one totters down,
To strengthen whilst one stands".

Are you a good friend? Do you follow the Golden Rule? I hope so!
See you again soon!

9 comments:

  1. The Golden Rule really is one of the best rules to live life by! It's great that your mum talked to you about it; most parents don't bother and they're usually the ones whose kids are rude, mean or bullies. I'm sorry you had to deal with a lousy friend, but rest assured there are lots of much nicer people around to be friends with. Be glad you found out early what your "friend" is really like; you needn't waste your time or energy there anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very important rule. You did well to write about this. It reminds me I have to talk to my own children about it and make sure they understand how to be a good friend and how to avoid bad friends as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our home, we only need to say these three words: "Do unto others..." It's a reminder of how we should live our lives. Treat others as you would like them to treat you, regardless of their actions. We cannot control anyone else, but we can control ourselves. Even if someone is mean, insensitive or a bully, never lower yourself to that level. Always strive to do better. It's easy to join in the mudslinging, but it takes effort, maturity and integrity to rise above that. In the end, though, you'll always be glad you did because you'll be a much better person for it. You are on the right track, kiddo, and having an amazing mom certainly has helped you get there. Hold your head up high with pride. You're a great kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How true: the mean and cowardly can never know what true friendship means. A true friend - and a nice, well brought up girl - would not treat another person unkindly or make them feel bad. If there really was something bothering your friend, she could have had the decency to talk it over nicely with you AND not let it affect your friendship. It's good you know now - you wouldnt want to hang out with someone who was so immature and mean right? YOU stay kind and caring and loyal - and you'll be the one with the real friends. You're obviously on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not easy finding good friends. Even grownups are lucky to have even one or two really trustworthy ones. Being kind, loving and courteous are so important. A lot of people don't get the Golden Rule, so it's great that your mom is making sure you do. Your poor friend probably doesn't have anyone to set her on the right course. You stay awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very true ;o) Great words, great post! I love the picture ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Becky,
    When i was growing up, this was my golden creed (creed is like a statement u believe in very strongly)- don't waste yr friendship on those who don't want it. Yes, if they don't want it, it's obviously because they don't think it is valuable, so u tell yourself, well my dearie, u will never know what a "valuable" friend u have just lost, and u know what? When u practise the Golden Rule, u will even genuinely start to feel sorry for her because she will never know who are her "real" friends! Remember, it is better to have one TRUE friend, then several FALSE ones {:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ps: The lady, Ms Jill J, i love what she said, it struck such an answering chord with me, it is true Becky, even grownups are lucky to have even 1 or 2, but as i said, better 1 or 2 real friends, then several who pretend until they feel u r no longer of any use to them. & yes, what the lady said, u are very blessed to have a mom who takes the time, that poor girl, deep down inside i'm sure she wishes she has a mom like yr's. Ps 2: why does yr bag have a reserved seat in the train? hahaha {:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Becky!
    I'm taking a break from the Hawaiian sun and sea. I decided I would catch up on a few blogs I enjoy so much! This post of yours is amazing!

    First, I love the picture of you and your sister. I have three sisters and a brother. I am a lot older than you are, and I can tell you that your siblings are your friends all of your life. Brothers like to tease you no matter how old you get! I love each of my sisters, and I can't tell you how much they mean to me ~ I feel the same way about my brother too!

    Second, your thoughts about friendship are insightful and mature for someone as young as you are. I taught grade three (7-9 year olds) for many years, and I have discussed being a good friend and The Golden Rule over and over with my students. It has been my experience that even young kiddos have deep thoughts ~ although they may not be able to express them in writing as well as you have. I can see that you are a kind and thoughtful girl! Smart and sensitive too!

    Third, I can see the love that you and your mother share shining through your words. I can tell you realize that you are fortunate to have such a good mother to love you and guide you. And she is blessed to have you as a daughter! Having a good family is one of the greatest gifts in life ~ sadly, I have known many kids who are not so fortunate.

    Thank you for sharing your amazing life! By the way, I enjoyed seeing your Sylvanian book in your previous post!

    Have an awesome week!



    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to write!