Sunday, 8 September 2013

The Phantom of the Opera!

Hi everyone!!! How have you been?? It's the September school holidays at last -- yaahoooo! I am planning to do lots of fun things, like crafting, swimming, rollerblading and meeting up with my best friend!

We have been busy with my little brother of course, but now I have a bit of free time to tell you about some things I have been up to recently. First, let me share with you something I really enjoyed -- "The Phantom of the Opera"! The musical has been playing in Singapore since July but I think it ended on September 1st. The tickets sold out really fast, so we were really extremely lucky to get them.

Actually, Mommy got them secretly and didn't say anything about them the entire time. Ro and I kept saying we wish we could go and Mommy just kept saying, "We'll see" when actually the whole time she had the tickets hidden somewhere.

Then on the night of the show, she said we had to go to her friend's wedding dinner and had to get dressed up. So I wore my silk dress and Ro wore her rosy one. We were sorta excited to be going for a wedding dinner actually haha!

My Dad dropped us off at Marina Bay Sands and we still didn't know we were going to see Phantom. The place is huge and we had to walk and walk like crazy. It was only when we were in the crowd outside of the theatre and Mommy gave the tickets to the usher, that it finally clicked! I screamed with excitement!!

It was soooooooooooooooooooooo cool!! I loved the singing and the props and the music from the live orchestra. Just in case you don't know, "The Phantom of the Opera" is a musical with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Charles Hart. It is based on the French novel Le Fantôme de l'Opéra by Gaston Leroux, published between 1909 and 1910. We weren't allowed to use any recording devices during the performance of course, but here's a picture of the stage! Isn't it lovely!

During the intermission everyone was buying drinks and standing around trying to look cool. We just ate our hard-boiled eggs! Roro forgot to put in the forks like Mom asked her to, so we had to use our fingers, but that was fine with me.

After the show, we got some candy as a treat -- yum!

On our way to meet Daddy, we passed this awesome fountain. It's called the Rain Oculus and really, the sound it makes is just like a heavy heavy downpour. Here I am in front of it holding my Phantom programme (more about that later!).

It's like a whirlpool in a giant glass bowl that falls out of the hole like a waterfall. It reminds me of an hourglass!

This place is so big, it even has a canal going through it. You can actually be paddled along in a boat called a sampan.

Now let me show you my programme! What was so cool was that when we were in the theatre lobby and saw them being sold, Mom asked the lady how much they were. She said they were $25! So Mom said, "We'll think about it", which really means "That's ridiculous! There is no way we're buying that!" We started walking toward the one flight of stairs, and then Mommy suddenly said, "Let's just check if we should be going up the other flight instead" (the other flights of stairs was way on the opposite end).

Well just as we were reaching it, this Australian man just came up to us out of the blue and said, "Would you like to have this programme? They sent us a couple when I bought our tickets and we don't need this extra one". And he actually just gave it to us!! Wasn't that awesome? Mommy thanked God right there and then because these are the "little" things God does to bless us every day!

So, since I couldn't take any pictures of the show for you, let me share with you some pictures from my programme!

This photo shows the cast during the dress rehearsal of Hannibal. Seeing that huge elephant on stage was really thrilling!

Here are Christine and the Phantom! Roro says that in this photo Christine is slapping the Phantom haha.

Here is everyone at the masquerade! They're all really happy because they think the Phantom has left and won't bother them anymore. But of course, he hasn't. In awhile, he will appear at the top of the stairs in a dramatic red skeleton costume! I loved this scene.

Here is the little monkey music box. This scene is from the very beginning of the show where things from the Opera House are being auctioned off. When the music box is wound up, it plays the song "Masquerade" very sadly.

I loved it soooooooo much and I wish we could go again! Waaah! Oh well, I have to go now, but I've more to share, so see you again soon!

7 comments:

  1. How awesome that you had this experience!! I remember watching Phantom years ago in London, and I *still* hum the songs every now and then! Thank you for sharing your pictures and bringing back happy memories for me. You and your sister look so pretty in your dresses. That fountain is pretty cool too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an amazing time! And what a beautiful surprise from your mom. She must have been bursting with joy on the inside whenever you mentioned wanting to go to the show knowing that she had tickets to surprise you with! You and your sister look so pretty in your dresses. I'm glad you had such a great time, and that you got to have a girls' night out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful day! You are so lucky that mom got the tickets! She really surprised you and your sister! I love that water fountain, wow!! I really enjoyed all the pictures! Big hugs to everyone ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky! I have not seen the Phantom of the Opera yet! The fountain is amazing. We have a big fountain here with raining drops but nothing like this downpour! It's fun reading about your September holiday! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Ro are such lucky girls! Getting to see the Phantom of the Opera sounds like a real treat and it's wonderful you enjoyed it so much! I haven't seen the show in New York but I have watched the film. Maybe you can all go again when Jake is old enough to enjoy it as well :)

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful of your mom to surprise you girls with the Phantom of the Opera tickets! I have not seen it yet...your pictures are lovely. I specially love the one of the stage. Enjoy your school holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rebecca!
    Don't you love surprises? You have the best mom! You and Ro looked so pretty in your "wedding dinner" dresses.

    The next time I go to Singapore, if I have time, I would love to see the Rain Oculus ~ it's spectacular. Unfortunately I've been hearing too much heavy rain here in Colorado.

    I've seen "The Phantom of the Opera" on stage three times. It's magnificent. I saw it twice at the Venetian in Las Vegas where the hotel built a special stage just for Phantom. Once, when the big chandelier plummeted, it stopped right over my sister's and my heads!

    I love how you look at your world with appreciation for its wonders. It's all the little blessings that fill you with God's love. Enjoy the rest of your break!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to write!