Monday, 4 February 2013

Fruit or Vegetable?

013013 163a 
Here's Molly Mouse and Harland Sheepdog having their breakfast! Molly is telling Harland about the homework she got back from Mrs Roo yesterday. Their class has been studying food groups, she explained, and she had classified tomatoes as a "vegetable" and not a "fruit". 

"I don't know why Mrs Roo said it was wrong," Molly told Harland sadly.

"Well, did she explain to you all what exactly a fruit is, and what exactly a vegetable is?" asked Harland.

"No..." Molly replied slowly.

"Then how would you know?" Harland asked.

"I don't know! Maybe it's something we're supposed to just know in our hearts!" Molly said.

"That's just silly," Harland said. "First, you have to know what makes a fruit a fruit, and what makes a vegetable a vegetable. But I can tell you why tomatoes are fruits and not vegetables. My Daddy helps take care of the garden and he knows all about it. He told me that if it has seeds, then it is a fruit. So, tomatoes are fruits. That also makes things like cucumbers, peppers and squash fruit. Of course, we also eat other parts of the plant, like the leaves or stems; those are vegetables".

"But you know," Harland continued, "My Daddy told me that the Supreme Court in a faraway country called the United States ruled that the tomato is a vegetable. They said that only if it was eaten in hand or in a dessert could it be classified as a fruit. Consumers think of tomatoes as vegetables, and that is how they should be legally defined".

"Ooh, you're really smart!" Molly said, impressed. "Thank you for explaining to me! Although I think then that a tomato could be a fruit or a vegetable, depending on if you were talking to a botanist or a chef!"

"You're right!" Harland said, and they both laughed and ate their tomato salad.

4 comments:

  1. my favorite part of any doll house is the kitchen and although this is not a kitchen but a cafeteria, I still love the little cups, cutlery and food. That is a very interesting thing, I did not knew that in the U.S.A. they considered tomato a vegetable so in the end even I got a lesson today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, I learnt something today too! Honestly, most adults don't even know what exactly a fruit or vegetable is. If this happened to you in school, your teacher - like Mrs. Roo - should have explained it properly first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harland and his Daddy are certainly very clever dogs---now I know why they say that sheepdogs are so intelligent! :-) Molly Mouse is very fortunate to have such a kind and helpful friend.

    We have a garden in the summer here at our house full of tomatoes, squash, and peppers. We call it our vegetable garden, but I think it would be fun to call it our fruit garden sometimes, too!

    I enjoy your stories very much, Rebecca. Now that your mom has told me about them, I'll be back to hear the latest Sylvanian adventures! I hope you'll keep writing---such talent is a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, as long as it is a fresh tomato, fresh off the vine, a tomato is wonderful, no matter whether it is fruit or vegetable and no matter how you pronounce it!
    "You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mah-toe". Look up the song, it's a good one! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to write!